2005/01/25

wrote a small gem last night. Guess I still got it ... somewhere.

So many writing-related things on my to-do list. So little motivation to do any of it. I don't know where my inspiration has all gone. :(

Things to do: roleplay posts. Since the games keep moving whether I'm ready or not, there's always a bunch of little posts everywhere that I need to do. Fortunately, for the most part, these tend to only be about a paragraph that I can dash off without too much thought. Occasionally I have to put in more effort, but not that often.

Except for one game. The game I'm in with Robert. It's the exact opposite there; every once in a while I can get away with dashing off just a paragraph - but that doesn't happen too often. (Of course, the payoff and sense of accomplishment is also much, much higher than for any other game.) Right now, I have a fairly complex post on my list that I've been putting off for 4 days now. I'll work on it tonight though. (Yes, this would be the Rumen post, Robert.)

Last night I did the other one for that game that I'd been putting off. It came out surprisingly well. Stuff came together in it that I had no idea was going into it when I started. I even got to wax poetic for a couple lines. The result was a beautiful post.

If only I could figure out how I manage to do those posts more often.

If only I could figure out how to do that with the scenes in my novel. :p

So, in conclusion, one down and one to go in the roleplay department. And here I was thinking I should cut down on the roleplaying. For two years there was a cycle, where I mass-joined bunches of games, and then I played, and then some of the games died. Then I'd mass-join some more of them. Last fall was a period of mass game death where I would've done a big mass-game-joining, except I'd decided it was time to cut back.

Then my best friend decided to start a Wraith game, and asked me to help. Then another really good roleplay buddy wanted me to join a new game and play with him. Of course I said yes. :P So much for the cutting down ...

So, 9 characters in-play in 6 games, though some are more dead than others. Then there's semi-co-GMing for the Wraith game. I technically don't have to do anything for it unless I really want to, except help the GM work out plot ideas, but I lend a hand with writing for the bit NPCs and filler posts because the GM isn't that fast. She takes care of the plot-crucial posts. I did one of those once and we got into stupid arguments over it and she editted what I finally ended up posting besides. (Which is fine. I wasn't thrilled with that, but it's her game, so it's her call.) So I'm not volunteering to write anything with important plot elements in it anymore. :p

Anyhow, back to my list. There's my Nano novel that I've ignored for weeks. This isn't so good, but I don't think I'm going to get back to it what with the February dare looming on the horizon. I still don't know what exactly I'm doing with that time, but it will probably be something new. Staring at my first novel is just going to keep me stalled. Starting stuff is really easy compared to finishing things, after all, and I need to be doing *something*. So far I'm thinking to stick with my original plan, and talk about two characters who meet, become friends, and get to discuss their personal pasts in lengthy detail. This one is as much for my best friend as it is for me, because for some reason she's fascinated by one of these two characters and wants to see more about him.

But before I can get down to work with the creative writing, I really, really really, need to get cracking on these scientific papers. There's a firm deadline on one of them now. It has to be editted in detail by the time my former-boss gets back from his trip at the beginning of February. So I have a week. Guess that's what I'll be focusing on, after I finish that other roleplay post I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment