Well, we're just over a month away, and for the life of me I can't convince myself to think about anything other than the Rumen stories. This looks like it'll be the first year where I don't work on something in the Fortress Launne setting.
A lot of things are horribly broken about the Fortress Launne setting. Lots of inconsistencies and contradictions that I'm not sure can be explained away. The way it got set up originally was with several individual stories around the timeline of one character's life. As the worldbuilding went on, other characters became important - and they have their own stories. It turns out that not all of these stories fit peaceably together with each other in the same setting. But all of them have equal weight. I can't very well negate one story in favor of another, so I'm not sure it's fixable. And thinking about it just makes me tired and not want to work on it.
The Rumen stories, on the other hand, aren't as fleshed out - and the details aren't as set in stone. There's also only one actual story - and I have a good grasp on which parts of it are story and which are merely details. Inconsistencies have come up, but I can still just change whole swaths of the setting to accommodate. It's much easier to work with overall.
So for Nanowrimo 2008, the plan is to add on to what I started at Labor Day 2008. Technically it's against the rules to work on something that's already been started. But this is the one that really wants to be written, so who am I to argue?
The End of Rage story has four main characters, each with their own subplots. So far I've barely mentioned the one surrounding Rumen himself. For Nanowrimo, I'll just start at the beginning of that one and work my way forward until I run into the parts I've already written. It probably won't last 50,000 words, but I'll figure something out by the time that comes up... >.>
2008/09/28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment