2009/10/31

Nanowrimo 2009

Once more unto the breach...

I've prepared notes to finally get around to writing Birthright this year. I've detailed out the treasure box that everybody wants. I've detailed out all the opposing mobster factions that want it and why. I've even come up with most of what I need to get a good start on the Felicia/Janis secondary plotline.

What I don't have at all, so far, is anything whatsoever about the originally-intended protagonist. o.O

She's supposed to be a 12 year old girl, living in poverty with a single parent and a half-brother who is getting sucked into a life of crime. But everything about the plot so far is stuff that happens to her because of the box; she has no motives of her own. I don't have a good feel for what she's like, or what her purpose is in the story, other than as a plot device. This does not bode well for the original story I had in mind, I think...

On the other hand, I'm not sure what story I originally had in mind, either (if there ever was one).

On the good news front: it is possible to get back into Hobgoblin.net - by signing up anew. Whatever is keeping out the established membership, it doesn't block new members, so I signed up with a different name to be able to reach the members-only portions of my past blog posts. Those have now been copy/pasted over, leaving just one completely-private post that I still can't reach. No Birthright notes were in them, however.

On the bad news front: no luck on the job. The interview went well enough, but they went with someone else. So I'm back to idling while I continue sending out apps and collecting rejections. At least this means more writing time. Some of it will be spent building up my list of science articles at BrightHub - the pay isn't great, and the pageviews seem to be lower than eHow, but it'll be good to have a variety of writing samples that I can show off for better-paying gigs later. Also, they're pretty fun to write due to actually being about stuff I'm interested in, which is definitely a plus.

On a somewhat neutral front: this year I'm test-driving Scrivener as my writing software. It has rave reviews, it's in active development, and there's a Nanowrimo-specific trial going on, so I'm hoping it'll be useful. On the other hand, I really liked Jer's Novel Writer, which I'd been using since 2005. Jer is busy with other things in life at the moment though, and not paying much attention to JNW. I suspect what will likely happen is I use Scrivener to organize my notes, and Jer's to do all of the actual writing. But we'll see, depending on how much I like Scrivener's full-screen mode.

Anyway. Last day before the writing starts. I'm going to sleep some, relax some, maybe get a pizza, and probably start at midnight. Should be fun. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I haven't been able to Hobgoblin either. :(

    I stalk you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray successful stalking! :)

    Come on over to SFFMuse for the time being. I think you registered on there a long time ago. We also have a chat (irc.goodchatting.com #sffmuse, which you can get to through mibbit.com if you're not familiar with IRC), where we all write together and share snippets of the good parts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went over there, changed my email addy for notification purposes, and now I'm awaiting reactivation. Oy.

    So, um, yeah. :)

    I'll have to hop in on a chat onna these days. :)

    ReplyDelete