2010/10/31

An Overview of my Fortress Launne series

Well, it's a few hours before Nanowrimo 2010, so I guess I should update on what I've been doing and what I plan to do this year. As usual, it's yet another book in the Fortress Launne series which I started in 2004. I think I have seven books in the series at the moment, and they weren't the 6-7 I'd originally envisioned when I started, but hey, progress is like that. :)

A few weeks ago I finally made an updated outline for the whole series. Now that I'm about to work on the 7th book, a whole lot of past pieces have fallen together into something that actually likes like it might end up making sense. Woohoo! I'll post it in a password-protected area of SFFMuse if anyone wants to look. It's 2000 words long and I don't really want to put that much detail in public (even un-searchindexed public like this place is).

Anyway, so this year's is called Triangle. It's about Nathaniel, Antoine Reiter, and the Stranahans planning the layout of their new city. Disagreements occur, and Antoine ends up hexing one of the Stranahans with a supernatural illness that kills him ... eventually. But the city gets built to everyone else's satisfaction, especially Nathaniel's, whose prime concern is binding a demon by laying down a city-wide spell that dictates the locations of various buildings.

Other plot points to cover: one of the things Nathaniel does for the local native folk is cleanse a cave, using a golden phoenix statuette he happened to have. Igniting the phoenix sparks sentience in the local spirit wolves, who have a major role in Temple and Birthright 60-65 years later. The illness that Antoine devised, meanwhile, becomes a plague 40 years later as the main plotline of Triangle II - which I'd started writing in 2006 as something called Janis before realizing what it was for.

So, at the moment anyway, the books in timeline order are:
Edward (aka Amulet I) - 2005, 2006, and 2007
Triangle - 2010 (this year!)
Janis (aka Triangle II) - 2006
Amulet II - 2005
Temple - 2004
Birthright - 2009
The Fall of Myan - 2008

I also have a glimmering of an idea in mind to write another book set some time after Myan, not as part of the Fortress Launne series but using the same setting, which will star Janis and Arthur Glorian. Arthur was the guy whose actions had a huge influence on the course of Fortress Launne's overall history, but he hasn't been seen since about a hundred years before Edward. He was also the guy that made the magic box, whose pieces appear in Triangle, Amulet II, Temple, and (especially) Birthright.

No comments:

Post a Comment