2005/04/02

reporting that I have nothing to report

Well, I figured I better write something, since I haven't in a while. Except I don't really have anything to write about. :p I haven't done anything worth mentioning in the writing department in quite a while.

I guess my biggest writing accomplishment lately is a freewrite that I'm working on. I've decided to do monthly 50k freewrites. It's a good way to get a snapshot of all my thoughts at a particular point in time. I'm thinking ten years from now I might want to look back on where I used to be. It's also a decent substitute for writing a daily diary. I've tried to do that and lose motivation after the first few days. I think partly it's just that I have a lot to say - more than would make sense in a single day - so the monthly format works out better overall.

At the moment, I have 24,252 words. I started it on March 30th at midnight, and then kind of stopped again last night (April 2nd). So I'll have to do another 25k words after I get back from all the offline things I'm about to do.

Things to do: tomorrow I'm going to a horse show. I don't know a thing about horses, but one of my coworkers said, "Hey, wanna go to a horse show?" And I said yes. ;)

Then a bit later on that same day, my boss said, "Wanna go on a cruise?" To which I immediately said yes again. :) These are work cruises, not for fun, although I do enjoy them after the first 14 hours of being seasick. We're going to collect some scientific data and fix a few things on some of our offshore monitoring equipment. Should be a fun two-day trip. I don't get invited on the cruises very often, as my job is mainly about sitting in front of a computer crunching the data that other people collect, so I'm pretty excited.

So basically I'm not going to be around much from Sunday morning to Tuesday night. I figure by the time I get back, I'll have plenty of stuff to rant on about for another 25k freewrite words. :)

So .. what have I been doing instead of writing? I wrote a blog entry about Tying Up Loose Ends back in January or so. At the moment I'm unpacking. More like seriously excavating my storage room to see what the heck I've been hauling around with me all these years without ever opening any of the boxes. I have stuff belonging to my ex's in there that needs to get back to them someday.

I bought a new bookcase for my paperbacks, finished assembling it earlier today, and the next step is to put my paperbacks in it. I also have a huge collection of textbooks. For the moment, instead of buying another bookshelf, I think I'll just stack them against the wall in an unused corner. That will get them out of the way so I can get to the more interesting stuff in there.

All of which started happening because I was trying to find old photos to scan. I used to be pretty big into art photography, and now I've started putting some of them up at DeviantArt. I need to find the originals of what's up there now so I can rescan them, and I want to put up more of them. I've found a few of the more recent photos so far, but the best stuff is still hidden away somewhere.

I also finally got around to fixing my camera. It cost more than the camera's current worth, but it was a present from my father and therefore worth it for the sentimental value. At some point I'll be in the market for a digital camera, hopefully at a point where the SLR's have come down in price a lot more. But a new computer is the first major purchase on the list of things to get. That should happen sometime in July, assuming no unexpected family emergencies this year. I've gotten a bit spend-happy now that I'm finally out of debt, and I need to stop that if I actually want to be able to afford this computer in July. :p

Hmm. For not having much to write about, I sure wrote a lot. Guess I'm still sort of in freewrite mode. I better stop now though before the rest of you fall asleep too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment