Labor Day Novel is going on this weekend. Over at SFFMuse, we've turned it into a writing challenge with a twist: write something using the song Emerald Sword by Rhapsody of Fire as inspiration. It can be any length - there are a few people who only have time to write Ficlets. There's a members-only forum on the SFFMuse board for people to post their results.
Basically what happened was I introduced the song to Robert, telling him that I thought the chorus might inspire him. Indeed it did, and next thing you know he's decided to use it for Labor Day Novel. Then, next thing I know I've decided to do the same thing - after having listened to the song for almost a year, I had a few ideas of my own. Then, next thing we knew, we'd roped alcar into it too, and it just went on from there. :)
Unfortunately, because we didn't decide all this until Friday night, which was just a few hours before the event started, I didn't have time to clear my weekend. I've only got 4k words so far, though my Monday is completely free, so hopefully I'll get a lot written then. It won't be a repeat of my 2005 Labor Day Novel experience, though (bus novel for 18k words).
On the bright side, my story is unfolding really well. Everything is nice and flowy, which amazes me because I started with no notes, no characters, no plot, and only the barest idea of a setting. Normally this doesn't happen; normally when I have no clue what I'm doing I just sit there staring at a blank page. This time it's not been like that. I think it's because I've been using the song lyrics as my outline.
So... yeah, I know it's a bit late to be telling everyone here about it now, but come on over and write a short story or something. :)
edit: fixed all the links. sorry 'bout that...
2007/09/02
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment