Site is still down, and I'm beginning to think I should move my blog to somewhere else. I still can't access the parts I'd locked out of public view. With Nanowrimo looming, this vexes me mightily. In public, I allude to stuff I planned out for the story I have in mind to write, Birthright in the Fortress Launne series, but I can't check whether I wrote any detailed notes.
And, once again, instead of being able to write a blog post there, I'll just write it over here.
I've settled fairly comfortably into the laid-off life at this point. So far the plan is to finish all the paperwork-sorting that I've been doing for the past three months, get stuff I'm not using packed up or freecycled or goodwilled, and prepare as much for a move as I can while still living here without any idea when the move will be. Unemployment money lasts until February. After that, I have enough savings for a few more months. If I still don't have a job by the time my lease ends here, I'll likely be moving back in with my mother in Indiana.
Meanwhile, I apply for jobs and collect rejections, get in some weekly exercise in the form of cheap yoga classes, and try to put together the database for Robert's art. I'd like to dive into a ton of writing once the paper sorting is taken care of, now that I seem to have a lot of time on my hands. Aside from fiction, I've signed up to write articles for BrightHub. It's a science and technology site, and I definitely know lots about science, at least. They pay $10 per article plus ad revenue while also taking nearly all publication rights. Not a great deal, but it'll let me see how well I'm suited to freelance writing in the first place and whether I want to pursue it with something of more reasonable pay. And, on the other hand, financially speaking it's a step up from writing for Wikipedia where there's no pay and no rights, and sort of comparable to eHow where there's only ad revenue but more rights retained... Anyway, I've submitted my first article to them - about alternation of generations in plants. I'll link to it if they accept it and put it up. If they don't accept it, I'll probably put it up as a Google Knol and sign up for Adsense. That seems like a good backup plan for any rejects, so that I still might get some ad revenue out of my efforts.
Hmm. I should probably plan in time for fiction too. There's lots of stuff on the backburners that I could try to finish up. I need to find any notes about Birthright outside of Hobgoblin, at least; the plan is to go ahead and do Nanowrimo this year, though that's subject to change on no notice. Guess we'll see what happens in the next month...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment