2016/11/05

Chugging Along On Schedule, More or Less

8330 words.

That's three words short of today's quota, so I guess I better start on the next scene later tonight.

So far it looks like I've started out with a view of the epic battle at a high level, and now I'm going to fill in the blanks by telling it again several more times at ground level, as people report to the king what happened from their perspective and why. The chronology of the whole thing will probably come out in reverse. Should be fun. :)

Aside from the opening scene with the epic battle, I've finished writing the other epic battle scene that happened in the library that no one saw - where Thomas faced off with Felicia for Janis. Next up is Josephine running in to find Brightspot, which will reveal why the wolves were in the fight. Then, after that, I'll finally get to the part about the drugs that the bears were there for. Maybe. There's actually quite a few tangents I could spin off from with the wolves and cougars first.

Doing a full rewrite of a story I already wrote is turning out to be a lot more relaxed than coming up with it the first time, since I already know what happens. I haven't really run into writer's block as much. And after ten years of doing these, I've learned how to not care if I don't have the perfect wording right the first time. I mean, I do care, and in fact I keep stopping and revising to fix things as I go along. It's just not at the "I really suck at this writing thing and should quit" level of caring. I guess partly it's because I actually know how to stop and fix things now, and it's generally a non-issue.

The local Nanowrimo scene is a bit different this year. Someone at the local library has decided to run write-ins, and more or less do all the things that MLs usually do, so hopefully next year she'll volunteer to do it officially. Meanwhile, her efforts have drawn in a bunch of people who showed up to the first meeting (it ended up being more like a kickoff) with no idea what nanowrimo is. I suspect that us veterans are going to have to pep talk them through the dreaded Week 2. If they come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment