2016/11/02

Nanowrimo Day 1 Summary

1790 words so far.

It's going slow while I try to remember the rather complicated timing of events that occur in the story. I'm rewriting the whole thing from scratch, starting with the battle scene that used to be the prologue. It's not really a prologue anymore, and by the time I'm done it's going to be probably somewhere in the 3k word range. I'm about halfway through now, done with all the setup, and now the temple just needs to get flattened.

It's definitely better than what I had before, with a lot more details and much better characterization and such. Possibly I need more description of the various spirits that are attacking. It's still a high-level view of the battle, as seen by Chance in the observation tower, who is giving orders to the mages and calling for backup from the king. It's written such that neither Chance nor the king have any clue why this is happening. This might have to change later, not sure yet. It might work better with them not knowing a thing in advance.

I've also decided to move up the Thomas vs. Felicia battle so that it occurs during the temple battle, rather than three days earlier. I'm not entirely sure why I decided to do that, but it might turn out to make more sense. It pretty much depends on whether the cougars are aware of Janis's location, because if they are (and they really probably should be), she would have to be in the temple for them to want to attack it. It might be more like a "last seen" kind of awareness for them, since Janis is supposedly in the library, not the temple...

The only part of the original draft that I'll probably keep is when Mindy and Weasel find each other. That part is still good on reread.

Oh well. Need to come up with another 1700 words today. I guess I better finish flattening the temple and then figure out what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment