2005/09/02

Labor Day Novel: At the Starting Gate

Technically I'm half an hour into the writing time already, but I had some delays with getting things set up. Namely, the cable to my new USB drive finally arrived today - after the ebay seller forgot to include it in the box with the drive. So I've been spending my evening getting data files backed up for the first time in who knows how long... and this took a lot longer than I thought it would.

Also I needed to transfer a file off my Alphasmart to clear off space for the novel. Since I only have two USB ports, and the other one is taken by my mouse, I couldn't do it at the same time as the file copying.

I'll just pretend I'm in Robert's time zone instead. ;)

I should probably also have printed out my outline instead of having to scroll through looking at my notes on a screen. Doh. Also, I had wanted to look up the city names that I'd made up for each bus stop with the hopes that all of them really are fictional. They have to be fictional because I don't want to inadvertently use a real city with a real Greyhound station and describe the place as being nothing like what it really looks like. I guess these sorts of details will get taken care of after the fact now, since this thing isn't going to get submitted anywhere immediately after I write it.

Hmmm. How do I feel so far? A lot calmer than I thought I would. I was nearly panic-stricken when I signed up to Nano last November, on the 6th, with no clue what I was going to write about. But I managed to pull it off then so theoretically I can pull it off now too, right? Just as long as this doens't lull me to complacency. That would suck.

Guess I better get started. I'm aiming to do one chapter before going to bed tonight. The opening scene, when the bus pulls up to the first stop in Pennsylvania, and the main character (the bus driver) introduces everything ...

No comments:

Post a Comment