2005/07/01

SFR Halfway Point (30 days over)

SFFMuse Summer Fun Run: [ 15,467/60,000 | 30 days down | 31 days left ]
Uneditted roleplay: 6456
Writing-heavy roleplay: 2014
Temple: 4555
Taint: 2442

Figured I might as well update, even though my only (fiction) words since last time were roleplay. I did write one post that was good enough to count under the "writing-heavy" category. It was 220 words (and therefore doubles to 440 for editting), but I counted half of that under "uneditted" because I wanted to make sure I saved a copy in my roleplay file. For some reason I have this weird feeling that I might lose it if I don't. Rpol doesn't crash very often, but it has before. Heck, it was right about this time last year that we lost nearly 12 hours worth of posts when the RAID5 crashed. (That's a lot. There's thousands of games on the site, going 24 hours a day.) (RAID5's are not supposed to crash. It's a "redundant array of inexpensive disks." In the event of one disk failing, all the data is still there on the other two. Unfortunately, they lost two of them at the same time.)

I didn't end up losing much - one fairly decent post and a lengthy OOC message to someone. I had a friend who lost everything he wrote during his evening, though. He had a lot. :p Don't you hate how nothing comes out the same way again, when you do it the second time? He had that problem in spades... Anyway, then rpol.net moved servers not long after that, and we haven't had any problems so far with the new one.

My roleplay file is just a text file in which I've copy/pasted every single uneditted-roleplay post I've written since June 1. It makes it easy to keep track of the wordcount. The number of words is rather impressive, at least to me. Each individual post may not be a lot, but it really adds up. I had no idea I was writing that much.

Anyway, so this week was basically a wash for any novel work. I'd been all gung-ho ready to dive right into Temple at the beginning of the week, too. Then my former boss came by with the science paper, and I pretty much had to put everything else on pause. We did talk a bit today, and he's pleased with the effort I've been expending into it. He said he'd like to see it done by Tuesday, so I immediately relaxed and stopped doing any work whatsoever of any kind. Today was kind of a useless day, workwise. ;) There's still a lot of work left to do on it - rewrite the last paragraph of the intro, rewrite the first paragraph of the discussion (because I moved the original first paragraph to the intro), get the results section organized. Try to come up with useful captions for the tables. At least the methods section is done. The abstract turned out to be perfectly fine as well.

So yeah. I think I'm going to tank SFR. 15k words behind and still slipping ever farther. I guess I'm still doing exactly half of where I need to be.

I had also planned to go over ellsea's first chapter of Anneth, but I suspect by this point it's completely different than the copy I have now. Looks like SOS is taking care of it though, so I'm not going to stress about it.

In other news, during that extremely boring lull last week when no game anywhere was moving, I got desperate and started looking for new games to join. :p Probably going to end up being a bad idea, but I signed on to help GM a World of Darkness game that, if it actually meets the ambitions of the main GM, is going to be a huge project. We're trying to have separate plotlines for every single World of Darkness creature type, in three separate time periods. At the moment I'm in charge of the Dark Ages. I don't have a clue about the Dark Ages. :p The only game book I have is the obsolete vampire one. But the plot premises for the Dark Ages looked a lot more interesting to me than the modern era ones, so that's what I'm going to try to do. Should be an interesting challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment