2006/06/14

SFR nearly halfway point

46 / 90 days to go | 44 / 90 days gone
25,373 / 90,000 words done | 18,627 words behind

Dragonfly: 1841 (916 final count)
Stranger on a Bus: 2372
Temple: 2813
general roleplay: 5110
Blogs: 13,237

My Internet connection at home is a bit kablooey at the moment. Everything is loading at a glacial pace. (So much for their ads proclaiming "6 megs of speed." Hah! I'm looking at speeds more along the lines of 60-600 bytes.) I couldn't get the profile thing at SFFMuse to let me update it there. Here's hoping this will actually post here.

So what's on my writing plate at the moment?

Dragonfly started out at 898 after the first round of tweakage, then went up to 925 briefly, and finally settled in at 916. I'll look at again in another week or two to see if I still like it the way it is now. Then it's off to the submissions with it as soon as July comes around. I'm waiting for July because that way I can submit it to Glimmer Train under two different categories at once. (It's allowed.) Might as well see if they like it enough to buy it, even if it isn't good enough to win the annual competition. Both ways pay relatively well. I won't hear back from them until October, though. Of course, that'll give me a lot of time to look at other literary fiction places to submit if they don't like it there.

Next, Stranger on a Bus is up for some line editting, starting from the beginning. I'm reading over the critiques that Spiff gave it back last September, when I first posted it at SFFMuse. I have a hardcopy of it floating around here somewhere and will probably draw red ink all over it for the first pass, then type it all back in by hand. Hopefully I'll manage to do a chapter per night until I'm done with the first nine chapters. Meanwhile I'll post up what I have of 10 (for backup purposes if nothing else), in case anyone is still following along and wants the latest and greatest. (assuming my Internet cooperates. *sigh*)

Also, Amulet II is up for a reread, outlining, and hopefully finishing. I left off at 55k words back in November. At that point I discovered that the end of my outline was not the end of the story after all, but was somewhere around the middle. So I still have to write the other half. But before I can do that, I need to rewrite the outline. It's a story with two major plotlines and four(ish) minor ones, which means it's fairly complex; at the time I stopped in November, it was getting rather unwieldy. There were lots of holes developing, and I'll need to fill them before I can move forward.

Temple is still on the backburner as well, but at the moment I cringe too much when I look at the opening material. At some point I do need to get back to writing up the second full draft, though.

Then there's Birthright coming up for next Nano. I have lots of backstory material in mind for the main plotline, though none of it is fleshed out enough yet. I need to outline the second plotline as well, since at this point it consists of a one-paragraph blurb. So far it's looking like this will be even more straightforward of a plot than Amulet II was. The main protagonist will be discovering all the info at the same time as the readers. The secondary protagonist, of the other plotline, will be in a similar situation, I think. The scary part is that I have no real idea of how it ends. I know what I'd like to see happen at the end, but have no clue how it's going to get there.

Taint/Amulet I is just going to stay a pile of scattered scenes for now. Maybe I'll write more of them as my secondary project for Nano, the way I did last November when I was stalled out on Amulet II.

As for roleplay, it's deader than a doornail. I have exactly one active player in my game, but he can't move because there's four other people who aren't around much. There are two posts I need to make as a player but haven't worked up the energy for it yet. There's one dead game that's scheduled to be removed from my list next week (I give most games one month to come back to life before I remove them). All the other games are basically dead as well, though there are occasional signs that they might revive.

That pretty much sums up where I am at the moment. Now it's time to hit the "post" button to see if this will actually post...

...

(it wouldn't go until 12 hours after I wrote it. Grrrr.)

No comments:

Post a Comment