Current stats are:
015,344 - Janis novel
005,506 - Amulet 1 Take 2
020,850 - total
I managed to write 4187 words for Janis in the past 24 hours. That story is really rolling along. The downside, though, is that it appears to be turning out as a chick lit. There's no violence or death or high-speed action to speak of. Just lots of relationshipy bits, with people doing shiny happy things. Lots of world exploring. It does have a plot in there, somewhere, though the main one so far isn't big enough to make 50k words. The second big plot - which is about to get introduced in Part 2 - will carry things a lot farther, but has a completely different feel to it from the first 15k words (which is basically the whole of Part 1).
It's shaping to be in four total parts.
Part 1: Intro to the Native Folk in their natural habitat. They're happy people.
Part 2: Intro to city folk in the city. They're less happy people, but doing all right overall as well.
Part 3: Native Folk in the city. These people are distinctly unhappy, and this whole part will probably be really depressing.
Part 4: Janis saves the day. :) Sort of. And also solves the problem of the plague that I'm introducing in Part 2. Everything gets tied together.
Meanwhile, after I finished Part 1, I tried to switch gears and go back to catching up Amulet 1 Take 2. At this point it's 10k words behind. My brain didn't want to switch gears though, and in retrospect I probably should've continued with Janis. I only managed to squeeze out a measly 347 more words on it tonight, though I did get past the stall point and now the next scene is set up. Hopefully I'll manage to get that going tomorrow.
At this point I'm writing Amulet I out of order. There's stuff I need to retroactively add in, though at this point I'm not sure exactly where. I'm planning to go with the concept of having someone attack the native folk such that they'll need to ask the Duchene brothers for help. To make it even more relevant, I'm thinking to have that someone be Lord Duchene - the father of the Duchene brothers, who is trying really hard to kill Edward. He knows Edward is still alive and awake now, and a good logical guess as to his whereabouts would be within the lands of the native folk ... so he'd start his search there. Much to the native folks' chagrin.
I've also noticed that all the stuff I'm trying to put in with the amulets ... kind of doesn't seem to want to be part of the same book. Maybe I should omit all that and rename it to something else. Like "The Duchene Family Feud."
Tomorrow I have to actually make an appearance at work and probably do some actual work while I'm there. Then it's my standard TV night with Battlestar Galactica and Dr. Who, which if I'm smart about it I'll only watch each one once, for two total tv hours, instead of sitting there watching the second showings too.
Also, this past week I've been distracted by the U.S. national elections. This is the first time I've ever really cared about national politics, to the point of wanting to read the details. I'm not sure if that's because I've reached a point of caring about my country, or if it really is extra terrible this time around. Oh well, it's over with now for another two years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment