2006/11/14

Bottom of the 14th

At the moment, I have 16,370 on Amulet I (take 2) and 15,344 on Janis. This puts me at about 10k behind for each.

This second week went a lot more productively than the first week overall. My wordcounts are still not as high as they need to be, but I've gotten into the swing of things. The first week, I was still adjusting to the concept of not going in to work. Now that I'm used to that, though, it should work out better.

Last night I had probably the best writing session thus far. There's a Raymond Chandler quote that cycles through the randoms, about being pulled by the words instead of pushing. Most of the time I have to at least nudge things along. Last night, two of my characters in Amulet 1 got to talking, and I could barely type fast enough to keep up. It was awesome. :)

I wish my characters would do that more often.

Overall, I'm still continuing with Amulet I until I run into a major block point. There's at least a couple more scenes in the pipeline before I run out of working outline and have to figure out more outline.

There's a scene for Janis Part 1 that I need to do retroactively, where someone explains the Vinithi* creation mythology in detail. So far I don't really know how to start Part 2 with life in the city, nor what specifically needs to go into it. Hopefully I'll figure something out by the time I get back to it. Either that or I'll skip it entirely and just go straight to Part 3.

*The word "Vinithi" was stolen straight out of "The Three Minute Universe" which is a Star Trek TOS paperback. At some point I'll need to change it. But not right now.

There are a lot of minor characters (and place names) in both books where I've thus far just given them numbers instead of names. It keeps things moving to not have to sit there figuring out how to stay consistent in my unwieldy Vinithi naming scheme. ;)

I back up my writing to two independent online places after every scene. One is to an RPoL game and the other is in my LJ. The side effect is that people can read along if they really want, though there's no sign that anyone actually is. However, I stand less chance of losing work than if I only kept a copy on my hard drive. Even the loss of a few hundred words slays me and makes me mope and sulk for days, so I tend to be very paranoid about such things. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment