Well, it turns out that before I could have them sit around looking hopelessly lost on what to do, first I had to have them explain clearly to each other exactly what the bad guy was. What his abilities are, what his weaknesses are, etc. All the great gory details.
And while they were doing that, they all started figuring out things to do on their own. Now they have all sorts of things they want to do with their afternoon. And one of them will even be a scene that's going to have enough plot-relevant material to write it up as my next chapter. Wooo. :)
So that was somewhere around 2k words, which is the average size of most of my chapters for this story. The shortest so far has been 600 words, and the longest was somewhere in the 2500 word range. I'd update the nanowrimo counter, but for some reason the page isn't loading. I guess people are hitting the validator hard, now that it's active.
Meanwhile, while I was stalled out earlier this afternoon, I read over Robert's Organic Linear Plotting article. I paid a lot more attention this time because, wouldn't you know it, Amulet I (take 2) looks remarkably like organic linear plotting. I'm somewhere in The Middle of the book at the moment, where everything is basically set up, and there's stuff I'm still throwing in here and there to keep things agitated, but the characters pretty much seem to know what they're doing. The only downside is that I don't think I'm going to be typing "The End" at 50k words. This is bad for the Janis novel. But this "Middle" business has been a lot of fun so far, since I transitioned into it at some point a few days back, so I'm not exactly broke up about it. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment