2006/05/04

SFR Day 4 (so far)

SFR 2006:
86 / 90 days to go | 04 / 90 days gone
2182 / 90,000 words done

general roleplay: 1408
Temple: 774

Today was a roleplay day. I updated my game for approximately 700 words. I guess in general I'm writing at a deficit of 300 words per day, which means that sooner or later I'm going to need a big day. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get a lot of work done on Temple.

Even though I didn't record any of my posts for double-count, I did spend an enormous amount of time working on a fairly sizeable 400-word post. Most of it was spent trying to figure out what to write, though. I was stumped for a good long while on what exactly my NPC was going to do to the uppity PC. It needed to be something that would be to the NPC's advantage, while somehow still managing to leave the PC with some kind of connection and ability to participate in a plotline of some sort. It was tricky, but I did it. The NPC basically screwed with the PC's mind, then left him in a dungeon (someone else's) with no idea how he got there or what he did to end up there. It has the side benefit of effecting a much-needed scene change. How well it works remains to be seen; the player won't see it for a few more hours.

Roleplaying in general has been very quiet lately. I only have one other post to do right now, and it'll be fairly short for the IC portion. Basically I'm running a single PC through a scene wherein a pack of Sabbat are assaulting a warehouse. At this point they've killed both of their Anarch targets, and now they're in the process of killing everyone else in there, and then they're going to set it on fire. Since there are propane tanks in the warehouse, there will be some pretty explosions. It's been a lot of fun. However, it involves lots of dice rolling and stats dickering, so the OOC portions in private are often much lengthier than the IC portions.

Meanwhile, for Temple, I'm leaning toward sticking with my original plan. Which is to tack Jacob's arrival to the end of the "As you know Bob" portion of the scene, and then the next scene after that will be Brightspot just before Felicia's trespass. (I realize this probably makes no sense to anyone but me, but I'm writing it down for my own reference.) I'm not really that happy with the plan, but can't think of anything better at the moment. It's looking more and more like I'll have a hefty structure-changing fourth draft after the third draft, though I'll probably still send out the third draft to beta readers before I attempt to rearrange everything yet again...

Why oh why did I pick the most structurally complex possible story to do as my first novel? *head, desk* I keep thinking maybe I should slip off and work on Amulet II instead, since that story is told in chronological order and is very straightforward, relatively speaking. In terms of structure, anyway. There are other things about it that make it complex, such as lots more big gaping plot holes, and the fact that I have yet to write the ending, which is nowhere in sight after 55k words, and I don't even really know what it'll be ... it just keeps mushrooming in plot complexities instead.

So that's where I stand at the end of Day 4. I know it's technically the beginning of Day 4, but I never get started writing anything before midnight, so the next time I have time to write it'll be Day 5. Might as well go ahead and count my days that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment