Well... I have 440 words of uneditted roleplay so far. *sigh*
I guess I could count this blog entry too, but at this point it would feel too much like cheating. I'll decide whether to count blogs after it's all over, if I'm in need of words by then.
Last night I spent my evening screening questy fantasy music to send to Robert. Unfortunately, the next scene I need to write for Temple is not Upbeat Quest Begins, but more Doom and Gloom, and so I didn't end up writing anything.
I didn't end up doing any roleplay posts, either, because another friend got me started on a lengthy IM conversation and by the time we were done talking it was time for bed.
Not that I went to bed. I stayed up late to finally finish reading the comments thread to http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007464.html . I first opened that thread a week ago, a day after it was first posted, and didn't get to the end of the comments until last night. (Of course, now there's 25 more of them since I last looked, but at least I actually made it to the bottom once!) It's a very interesting discussion about the legalities of fanfiction; I would say it's probably the definitive discussion at this point. 681 comments at the time I'm writing this and still going, with everyone being fairly civil, lots of signal and little noise. And not that much repetitiveness, either. It's worth reading if you have several hours.
That one came about as part of the aftermath of Lori Jareo's stunt with her Star Wars fanfic. (details available at http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/004162.html ). Basically, a woman claiming to be a professional editor, and who is one of the two principals of a small POD, published a Star Wars fanfic and put it up for sale on Amazon.com, Barnes and Nobles, Powells, and probably other places. The resulting outrage has been quite fun to follow.
Anyway, so tonight I need to do a bunch of roleplay posts, and then plunge on into the next scene of Temple. I'm going to rewrite it from scratch. I spent much of yesterday pondering what the king would already know, what he doesn't know due to lack of time to find out, whether he would've managed to fit any of the pieces together by himself yet (no), and what kind of general reaction he's having (which boils down to "huh? what did the Magi do to piss off the local spirits?").
I haven't decided at this point whether it'll be just him thinking, and therefore a long piece of narration, or if I should send in a Bob character and set it up as an "As you know, Bob" style scene. Guess I'll figure it out as I go...
After I rewrite it from scratch, I'll get back to the second-draft version of the scene and see if I can splice it together into something presentable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment