A while back I got my brain scanned by MRI, looking for anything weird that would cause me to have daily non-headache migraines. All that turned up was some sinusitis, for which I got prescribed some decongestants and nasal spray. This didn't really alleviate the migraines any, and frankly I can't even tell whether I'm having sinusitis or not, as I don't feel anything either way (unless I just always have sinusitis I suppose...).
For those who haven't been following along, six months ago I figured out that I'm gender dysphoric. This means that the brain is hardwired (during development in the womb, most likely) to be of the opposite gender than the genes and rest of the body. In my case, I have a female body and male brain.
Apparently, male and female brains do not look the same on an MRI, and you can tell which gender it is by looking at the scan.
Y'all can probably guess where this thought is going... heh. What can I say, I'm a scientist. Step one is to get the basic facts established.
Today I finally got around to looking into all this. I tried to get ahold of some copies of my MRI so I could see if the gender thing was true or not, and what gender my brain actually is according to an MRI. Unfortunately, it turns out that if I want personal copies, I would have to pay $20 per page, and for my particular scan it's usually somewhere between 12-20 pages. (!)
The cheaper way to do it would be to get a doctor to "borrow" the originals to look at. This means I would have to talk to an actual real person (!!) and ask them to help me figure out how to answer the gender question. I'm trying to figure out just how exactly that conversation is going to go with my primary care physician... :p. ("Hi, I might actually be a boy." ??) Maybe I'll figure out how to phrase the question tomorrow.
In other news, along the same train of thought, I met an MTF trans last Friday. (male-to-female transsexual - someone who has a male body and female brain.)(also, by "met" - what I mean is online.) She's working on forming a support group for herself, before she starts the transition. Right now she's trying to get her emotional issues straightened out before she starts on the hormone treatments. She's just started a brand new website and has invited me to watch and learn from her trials and tribulations. :) I'm trying to talk her into letting some of the rest of us have blogs. If that works out, I'll finally have an appropriate place to blather on about my own thoughts on the whole thing. Heh. I have a LOT to say on the subject. :p I would do it here, but this is supposed to be for writing, so that's what I try to stick to. Anyway, http://www.evilfemme.net for anyone else who might be interested. ;)
(edit: apparently the website is down. Never mind. :p)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment