2005/06/19

SFR Beginning of Day 19

left ]
Uneditted roleplay: 4707
Writing-heavy roleplay: 1794
Temple: 3886
Taint: 998

Did about 1500 words on Temple over the last 24 hours or so. They were very slow in coming :p ... but I got them down. Two more scenes finished with two more to go. Then I can start putting together the second draft.

I sort of have the beginning glimmerings of an idea for how exactly to fit all the Janis scenes in with the rest of them. The general structure of the novel is three parts. The largest section is where the king walks around in a big circle around the flattened temple while he asks everyone he can think of for how exactly that happened. Then I have a section where this midget guy walks the same circle, only he does it in the dead of night and he talks to himself. This fills in a lot of blanks about what happened that the king doesn't get to know. Then there's a third section, which follows the trials and tribulations of the only mortal in the story - Janis. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no reason for her to be walking around in that circle, and in fact she spends much of the novel bedridden.

The basic problem is that the Janis scenes need to be interspersed somehow with the king's circle. (The midget guy gets his circle after the king's circle ends). Well. Now I'm thinking spirit owls. All I have to do is have one somewhere in every scene that has Janis involved, which doesn't have her talking to any of the Tainted that get POV in the book. There are also several scenes with the spirits talking amongst themselves which don't really work so well as told through the view of a Tainted, so, I can add those to the owl scenes too. Then there would have to be maybe an opening and/or closing scene that explains all the owls. That would give me the common thread tying all of them together.

As for the challenge, well, I'm around 6500 words behind. Still falling farther and farther behind, unfortunately. I was hoping to fix that this weekend, but apparently not... This is making me rethink the whole concept of trying to write a Labor Day novel. I'm beginning to doubt I can do that.

So tomorrow... the plan is to try and do another Temple scene, and then try to finish up that last Taint scene that I've been dickering with for almost a week. Roleplay has died way down these past couple of days. I have one quick post on my list, but that's it at the moment. More time to focus on novels, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment